Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe

As you may know from reading my bread-making post, I am trying to make more homemade stuff. I have a growing list of things I want to make, but most recently I tackled graham crackers. I looked through two recipes and used a bit from both. From Smitten Kitchen I took the topping for the graham crackers and from Chocolate & Carrots I took most of the recipe. I did use regular flour and sugar though. I figure I will just rewrite the recipe as I did it. So please consider it an adaptation from the two blogs.

Homemade Graham Crackers 
Ingredients
Crackers
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, mostly melted
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
 Topping
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Make the Dough
In a bowl stir the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Set aside.
In another bowl mix the remaining ingredients together. Your butter should be mostly melted, but not fully. You can hand mix or use a mixer to beat the ingredients until combined.*
Add in the flour mixture in two shifts, mixing until well combined.

Chill the Dough
Try to make your dough look rectangular, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to harden. (the rectangle isn't that important, it just may help with cutting the dough later)
Wait 30 minutes or longer, until dough is chilled and firm.

Cut Out the Crackers
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it’s 1/8 thick. The dough will be sticky so use more flour as necessary and roll out the dough slowly to prevent tearing.
Cut the dough out into  squares of whatever size your prefer with whichever tool you prefer (I used a pizza cutter).

Bake the Crackers 
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Place the crackers, about 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Score the squares down the middle and poke some holes in the top with a fork, or decorate however you prefer.
Sprinkle the topping over the crackers.
Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to harden the cookies a little before baking.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
Allow to cool before removing from the baking sheet(s).


Enjoy!
S'mores, cheesecake, an afternoon snack...whatever you want to use these crackers for go for it! They are certifiably delicious! Though don't expect them to taste like store-bought ones (aka junk). These are a little more like cinnamon shortbread cookies. They'd be great with tea and maybe jam!

If you do make these let me know how they turn out and what you have with them!
Stay Lovely,
Katelin 

No comments:

Post a Comment