Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

My First Meal: Chicken Stir-Fry and Crescent Rolls

It's a day of firsts for me. I worked for the first day of my full-time job, and came home to make my first real meal tonight in my first apartment! Now that I have a kitchen (after three years in the dorms) I intend to make delicious REAL meals all the time. Yes, real! As in not questionable like the fare at the dorm dining center always was.

So what did I pick for my first meal attempt? A yummy looking chicken stir-fry and crescent rolls from scratch! Both recipes I used came from the fantastic food blog Get Off Your Butt and Bake.

Crescent Rolls
That's right, homemade crescent rolls for my first real meal! With yeast, rising and everything! It was actually a lot easier to make than I thought. Though I will say I thought they tasted at least a little bland, but I think that may have had something to do with lack of extreme amounts of butter. I didn't have anything to brush butter on my dough and finished rolls with, so those few steps were a little difficult. But still, hard to go wrong with fresh from the oven rolls.







Stir-Fry
This was the first time I had ever cut chicken, and let me tell you it is not a piece of cake. Plus I was extra worried about that whole cleaning up properly because of salmonella. I also cut up carrots and the frozen broccoli I got. I even managed to steam both the carrots and broccoli together instead of attempting to do them separate AND they weren't even remotely over-cooked!





I will admit, making this meal took what seemed like an awfully long time. But I'm sure things will speed up the more I cook. Regardless I had a lovely meal and even had lovely company as my friend Alyssa stopped in to see my new place and shared this lovely dinner with me! 


You should absolutely check out Get Off Your Butt and Bake for fantastic and simple recipes! I'm certain I will be making many more, including loafs of bread and a beef stir fry!

Stay Lovely,
Katelin

2 comments:

  1. Katelin that looks so fabulous!!! Im so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it really does look delicious! What a great "first" real meal! Keep on cooking/baking and it'll just get easier and easier for you!

    ReplyDelete